Re: [Harp-L] Am I Alone???

Yeah baby, I'm on to the next level!!" Then the next gig same old sh#*!!! Am I alone with this??? Will I ever be able to catch "That Magic" more than once in a while?? I sure hope so!

Keep playing and you'll have the breakthrough you want. Keep aiming at it.

The Next Thing doesn't come on a schedule, but next step is always getting ready to pop if you keep working - never miss a day.

In those old Tennis On The Right Side Of The Brain kinda books, we're told that you can't turn off your mind, that you have to occupy it so as to let your abilities flow.

If I'm not quite inside my music just yet when a solo comes up, I play a game with myself. I hit two or three notes - no more and sometimes only one note - in a very simple, appropriate, improvised out of nowhere rhythm figure. I then repeat it. On the third hit I play the same rhythm figure with different notes, maybe just one different note. In just two or four bars I've already started telling myself a musical story and I'm off to the races. Mind is now quieted.

By the way, this is your best shot for getting the audience involved in your solo. They follow little three note figures as they develop - they find it easy. It's real communication. So when you suddenly let loose with something more elaborate, they are inside with you.

When you start with your hottest licks, even new ones that you have invented on the spot, it's not much different from a meeting someone at a party for the first time and having them chew your ear off at top speed for three minutes before you have a chance to breathe and think about anything. Bleh.

I start simply on most of my solos, try to make the most of some interesting swinging rhythm. Then me and the audience go off on a trip together.