Re: [Harp-L] Am I Alone???

On 11/29/2010 07:55 PM, Michael D'Aurizio wrote:
I practice at home, or in my truck at work. I come up with a lot of great licks. They are innovative (for me), musically advanced (for me), and I really get excited about layin down these great new riffs at the next gig. The next gig comes, and all I do is play the same old tired licks over and over again. I can't seem to get creative enough on stage to trust my skills, and let the " new and improved" chops flow. Once in a GREAT while the planets will be aligned just right, and the magic will happen, and the riffs will just flow from my instrument. I will leave that gig thinkin " Yeah baby, I'm on to the next level!!" Then the next gig same old sh#*!!! Am I alone with this??? Will I ever be able to catch "That Magic" more than once in a while?? I sure hope so!
you're hardly alone.  there're a number of factors in play here.
it's easy to push the envelope at home when nobody can hear you,
you get all the do-overs you want, you don't have to keep up
with the band, the material's familiar, etc.

i once complained about this to jason, and he said that there was
a 6 month lag between how you play in your living room and how
you play on stage, even at his level.  so don't sweat it, just think how
good you'll sound in 6 months!

i'd also emphasise warren's point.  play less.  make what you play
count.  when you're playing all the time it's hard to keep thinking
up new things to play.  and if you play every lick you know on every
verse, things will get old fast.

-- We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give. - Kathy Moser