[Harp-L] RE: Singing Ability

Yep, I have to give an amen to both Richard (the maker of my amazing
harmonicas!) and Grant. I've been playing harp since 1975 and always loved
backing singers, largely because i was most moved by singing.

when I was a lad I was lovingly told I had good voice and was always one of
the better kids in my school chorus (back when there was a budget for music
education). Then came puberty . . . oy! For the next 30 years I never got
any love for my singing and it didn't take much negative reinforcement for
me to loose my nerve to step up to the mic.

I finally overcame that a couple of years ago, largely because my band mates
said go for it, have fun with it, you'll get it! And I'm not saying it was
easy, it was as a matter of fact it was terrifying!!  That began the process
of my leaning to sing - on stage - without a net . . . it is thrilling!

The music I play these days is in the old time southern acoustic style and I
have to say, there is nothing I do in music that is more satisfying than
harmony singing . . . WOW!!!  I spent yesterday afternoon with a long time
friend who though I'd performed with her, I'd never sung with her.  We did
songs by E.C. Ball and Doc Watson - dark scary pieces. there were times when
in the words of Bill Monroe, we conjured up those "ancient tones".

In terms of the how, it's best to learn by ear, because that's how its
ultimately played out and about.  So sit down with your favorite recordings
and play along, sing along. do it in the car, do it in the shower, just do
it. Use the tabs if you need to, but let them go as soon as you can - like
training wheels, then you'll fly!!!

BTW, that link to the Peter Rowan interview is well worth checking out . . .
thanks Grant.

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/23/131545079/the-fresh-air-interview-peter-rowan-bluegrass-band?ft=1&f=13

and here my band's facebook page where you can check on my progress (please
be kind ;-) )

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Whistling-Wolves/104690952925436?v=app_2405167945&ref=ts

Trip

--