[Harp-L] Singing Ability

Dear John,

I need to make this short, so I'm sorry if this crosses the line into too blunt.

"In my case, I can't sing a lick, and cannot play anything by ear to save my life. I can play melodies by reading the tabs, but have great difficulty in remembering or memorizing the tabs, and so cannot play the melody of a given song without reading the tabs."

These are literally "death sentences" and they will kill your efforts to do anything effective about learning how to sing or play music the way you want to.

You gotta stop saying things like this if you want to get anywhere with your practice. You are deciding ahead of time that you can't do these things. Is it any wonder that you are frustrated?

How about replacing these sentences with questions like "how can I learn how to do this?" who can tell me how to do this?" or statements like " i know there is a way and I am going to find it".

There is a book "The Listening Book" by W.A. Mathieu (ISBN 0-87773-610-3) that deals directly with "tone deaf" people learning how to sing. Page 128 is the beginning of the relevant chapter.

Check it out!

Richard Sleigh

P.O. Box 23
Boalsburg PA 16827