[Harp-L] singing ability

Alas, by sheer dint of effort I hope to overcome my own lack of natural musical ability.  Meanwhile I will continue to have fun playing blues harp!

-Dave "tonality before notality" Fertig

--- On Sat, 11/27/10, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx <harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Harp-L] singing ability
        	Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:34 AM

            From:
            captron100@xxxxxxx

        	To:
        	harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
 John wrote:
My
 question is this: is the ability to play by ear a natural talent that
you either have or you don't, or can the ability be learned, and if so,
how?

 According to what I was told 30 years ago by
the testing center when I underwent some aptitude evaluations, musical
ability is an aptitude.  Aptitude, by definition, means a natural
ability which you are born with.  Although one could say either you have
 it or you don't, there are degrees of ability and one's abilities can
be honed or improved upon.  Another statement they made was that at the
foundation of the ability to enjoy music was the ability to recognize a
tune.
ron