Re: [Harp-L] Blackstone 1 amp (new post)

Hi Geoff,

A single 6SN7 in push-pull (as opposed to "single-ended" like a champ), with a
Phase Inverter tube (you have 2 preamp tubes, so I assume that it has a PI check
to see whether 6SN7 pins 3 & 6 are linked together, or whether they have their
own wires, each running to the Output Transformer), can make 6-7W under drive in
PP class AB, 10W in class B (never used for instrument amps)....clean W will be
less. I have just built a 6SN7 powered amp myself, for practice/recording/lined
out performance, I incorporated a lower power design (half watt) to make it more
suitable for apartment use, you can see/hear the amp at
www.myspace.com/markburness.

I can't find any solid info regarding Blackstone, so I assume that it is/was a
small scale producer. Subsequently, circuit info might be hard to find. You
could ask over at the www.music-electronics-forum.com (there is a reference to
RG Keen on a Blackstone page I saw, RG is an old hand at MUF so I'm guessing the
builder frequented there, or the old Ampage, at some time), or you are welcome
to send any digital pics to me for evaluation, in case you are worried about
infringing any propietry designs (confidentiality assured)...if you're not
worried about that (it's your amp & you should have a schematic), post links to
them here.

On a practical note, I very much doubt that the amp is fixed bias, so you can
change the 6SN7 for any other 6SN7 without any adjustments. Operating voltages
will be fairly low, so  unless Blackstone used rediculously small W plate
resistors (like 0.25W) you should have some flexibility with preamp subs too.
Could be a cool little amp, if it sounds good, then it is good...schem could be
moot.

Cheers, Mark.