From: Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx; chicago bluesman
<chicagobluesman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, November 23, 2010 8:13:19 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Why do we associate major with happy and minor with sad?
(No harp content)

In the European orchestral tradition, as I understand it, minor keys were
dominant when most of the music written was
of a religious nature. ie the church was the dominant cultural power. As the
world became more secularised, the major key came into prominence.
The minor keys were seen as being of a devotional nature, while the major scale
was more wordly.
Think I got this impression from some musical history book I read some years
ago.

RD

>>> chicago bluesman <chicagobluesman@xxxxxxxxxxx> 24/11/2010 14:51 >>>

I tend to associate minor key tunes with cultures which have been historically
repressed & persecuted.  Think of how Judaism/Jews have  been treated...or
Romani (gypsies)...I'm sure there are other examples.   I suppose that just as
we associate blues with an oppressed class of people during a specific
historical time...some minor key song structures may be linked to other groups
which have known great hardship. There must be an ethnomusicologist on the list
who can shed more light and put it in context.    But I agree with something
written by someone else--some minor key material is funny, whimsical, witty and
charming.