[Harp-L] Re: Similarities between harp and anglo concertina

Dear Harry
I have now had the concertina long enough to make some comments. Mine is a Crucanelli and cost about £425 (there was a bit of haggling). I played a few before choosing that one. Anything costing much less than that is unplayable. The Crucanelli is made by an Italian Accordian maker and I believe that there are now a number of such models - with various names - that may be fine. They are relatively cheap because they use accordian reeds rather than concertina reeds. Not being a concertina devotee as yet, it sounds fine to me and it is possible to play at speed without the buttons sticking, which is generally the problem with cheaper ones. Hobgoblin music do similar mid-price Italian models and have a USA site.

It is a 30 note Anglo in C and G. This is like having two diatonic harmonicas in parallel, with a row of accidentals. Like harmonicas, the rows are tuned so that all the push (blow) notes give the chord notes of C or G, but the tuning is not Richter. For instance the C row is tuned CGCEGCEFCE on the push and GBDFABDFAB on the pull. With the accidental note row, the middle two octaves are fully chromatic, the lowest and highest octave are not.

In terms of transfer from diatonic harmonica: What sounds good in terms of timbre and dynamics of playing is similar and there are commonalities of free reed sound. You can't bend etc. though. The fingering is nothing like harmonica really. It is possible to play 'like' a harmonica and go up and down the row in the key of C or G. This sounds OK, but concertina players are sniffy about this as lazy technique and when I try that I want to play harmonica instead, which is far better suited to this treatment. Playing across the rows you can (a) play many more chords than on a harmonica and (b) play very fast runs using all push or all pull notes (this feels a bit like cat's cradle in the fingers). I find this kind of fingering has more transfer from the guitar than the harmonica as you need to imagine which finger needs to go where.

So in terms of transfer from harp: Push-pull is good, relatively small and portable is good. You could sing and play at the same time (once your brain had settled down to the challenges of concertina that is). I see it as an enjoyable extension. Also, if you think harmonica is a minority instrument, try searching for concertina on youtube!

I'm not planning to learn loads of folk tunes but more work on blues/ jazz on it. There seems to be zero information about this.

Richard