[Harp-L] Band-in-a-Box Jam Track Tutorial -- 2 of 3

[Continued from Previous Post]

Next, we're going to tell BAIB something about the duration and structure of our jam track.  In the top part of the screen (where there are more buttons and icons that you can shake a stick at), look for a white rectangular area right above measures 1 and 2.  (I've not yet found what the BAIB folks *call* this part of the screen. Usually such things have names, though. Anyone?)

Look for two numbers in parentheses separated by a dash, probably (1  -  32).  This is the 'chorus'.  Our chorus – the part that repeats –  goes from measure 5 to measure 16.  Click on the numeral '1'.  The cursor changes to a plus-sign.  Click on bar number 5 in the chord sheet.  Notice that the numeral '1' has now changed to '5'.  Next, click on the numeral '32' (or whatever the second number in parentheses is, on your screen).  The cursor changes to a plus-sign, again.  Click on measure number 16.

---
Now we are going to tell BAIB to play our song until we tell it to stop. Well, almost.

To the right of the numbers in parentheses is a number all by itself.  This is the number of times to play through the chorus.  Click on it; you should see a drop-down menu.  Select '40'. We have just told BAIB to play our 12-bar blues chorus 40 times through.  Are we likely to want to hear it that long?  Of course not.  But we can play until we want to stop without having to think about restarting the track.

---
To the left of this specification area (for lack of a better word) is a button labeled 'Style'.  Click on that to get a pop-up screen which they call the 'style picker'.

In the left part of this screen is a list of genres and sub-genres.  Click on 'Blues'.

In the right part of the screen you will now see a list of styles from which to choose.  'EV' means even beats. 'sw' means swing rhythm.  There are brief descriptions.  For your first time out, try one called 'Z3BLUSHF'.

Optional:  Click on 'Preview' (at the top of the screen) to hear a bit of it; click on 'Stop' to stop.  Click on 'OK' at the bottom right of this screen.  The screen will disappear, and BAIB will start playing your jam track in the new style.  It probably sounds pretty cheesy, at this point.

[Continued in Next Post]