Re: [Harp-L] rules for jam

Everyone is equal at a jam.

First come first served. You will always get the egos who won't play until the
place is full & feel that they should top the bill...offer them a spot in list
order, then work through...if there's time at the end for them to do their thing
then great, but don't cut other folk short to fit in a big head. Conversely, if
you have someone who likes to play at low levels/acoustically push them to get
there early, otherwise you might find everyone is desensitised & just talks over
them after they've just seen a 7 piece electric set up with horns.

Obviously, if you have a real big name, or someone who has travelled a very long
way to come to your jam, then use your own discretion...do the sensible thing

Everyone should get the same amount of time/number of songs. You tend to get
more guitar players than anything else, fewer bass players & drummers...so these
spots can be up to the house bassist/drummer discretion. Try and use discretion
with someone who is the only player of their instrument on a day, give them
their quota, but if they are requested give them a few goes, we used to have a
guy who bought a bunch of instruments in the hope that if he was the only fiddle
player, he could play all day ..maybe he could have done, if any of his
instruments were gigworthy...;-)

Players with similar tastes will generally gravitate towards each other.

Don't expect thanks very often, do expect criticism, so grow a thick skin &
stick to your guns. Don't be surprised if your frieds & loved ones notice that
you have become "a lot more cynical" :-)

Expect guitar players to be tuned up & ready to go, when you call them, no one
wants to listen to 5 minutes of amplified tuning up. Try and deter guys from
bringing their own amps & pedals on stage, the house gear should be adequate &
reliable... (I said try...you will find yourself giving in every now & then), if
guys want to sound just like they do in their bedroom, then they can play there.