Re: [Harp-L] Blues Backing Tracks for a Female Vocalist (Wannabe)?

Elizabeth,

First, I find that I go back and forth between adding vocals to my harp and adding harp to my vocals. I find the skills grow and develop together. But this leads directly to the matter of playing a song.

I encourage you to learn to play songs through with just harp and vocals -- just you. It sounds from your posts that you are on this doorstep, so cross that threshold!

As for songs suitable for your range -- there's no law that says you can't take a song played traditionally in one key and sing it in another. My suggestion is find songs you like, learn some harp to go with them, and then play them in the key that's comfortable for you to sing.

Back to playing songs with just harp and voice, this will force you to pay attention to structure, rhythm and timing. Keep your licks simple to begin with (and, frankly, it's a guideline that never wears thin). And listen closely to the phrasing your favorite singers use -- where they come in, which words or syllables are sung on the strong beats. Learn to involve your feet (if you don't do so already) to keep time.

I can't emphasize enough learning songs through solo. Your understanding of the songs will deepen and you will be better able to communicate and play with other musicians. It's one thing to jam along to a track, another to lay it down yourself.

Offhand, "Trouble in Mind" might be a good song to work on with your vocal coach.

Best of luck,

John