[Harp-L] do sandwich harps overblow better than recessed combs

an experiment I just ran that suggests "yes" in my case.

my walk around C harp is a Special 20 set up to overblow with Turbolids.

I discovered that Special 20 plates fit on a Golden Melody comb if you file down the round projections on the comb through which the coverplate screws go (I didn't feel like drilling two large holes). I had patiently filed down the sides of the golden melody comb to fit in a turbolid but was impatient and just snapped off the red plastic nubs with my leatherman so the Special 20 plates that are missing the 2 large holes GM plates have could lie flat on the GM comb. The result was a sandwich style harp with 4 screws holes on the  S20 plates that align with the GM comb (3 in the front and the middle one in the back). I micropored the turbolid to form the seal that the recessed comb of the s20 normally takes care of and found that the same plates overblow and overdraw noticeably better when situated as a sandwich rather than in the normal recessed comb.

I put them back on the S20 comb to check and it wasn't my imagination. this has been my walkaround harp in that config for 2 years now. Anyway, I drilled the two remaining holes into the comb and my new walk around harp has thoser old s20 plates on a filed GM comb with a micropored turbolid.

I guess having the reeds 1mm closer to the lips does make a difference in my case.