[Harp-L] Re: breaking - in, looking for a metallurgist

In a message dated 5/25/2010 7:24:13 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I told him that the knowledgeable people on harp L say thatbreaking in a
harp is not a really a fact.  He replied that evidentlythese people who say
that are not experienced harp players because heknows from his own
experience  that a his new harps have played betterafter playing 3 straight hours of
playing  them.  I replied that sincehe played wood combed Marine Bands, the
reason  for his experience was that thehumidity from his breath swelled the
wood  slightly and increased airtightness.

Ron, wouldn't that be considered breaking in?  Maybe not  specifically the
reeds, but sounds like a good argument for breaking  in nonetheless.  Might
pertain to the reeds as well, I can't tell from  what you posted if the harp
stays 'broken in' after the initial playing &  then resting for an extended
period.  Is there a breaking in of the  reeds that doesn't have anything to
do with their molecular  structure?  Perhaps some minute bits of material
left  over from the manufacturing process sloughs off from the  edges during
play?  Does the vibration help to seat the reed where it  attaches to the
plate?  I'm not saying those things happen, just tossing  out some
possibilities.

Being somewhat tech oriented, I'd also like to  see the results of some
relevant metallurgical  testing.

Christopher Richards - Twin Tone Harmonica  Microphones