[Harp-L] Re: Hohner replacement reed profiles

Harvey Berman wrote:

Some time ago, I bought a bunch of Hohner reeds for the handmade diatonics directly from Hohner USA. When I started looking at them recently, I noticed that they were the old profile, where the ground portion of the reed is square cut to the pad at the rivet end, rather than tapered down like the newer reeds, which I think leaves a shear line for possible breakage. This, in my mind makes these reeds at least 12 years old, I think, since they have been using the newer profile since they started stamping dates on the plates around 1987. Again, I think I am right about this.

Has anyone out there bought any reeds from Hohner which are the newer profile? Maybe Steve Baker knows the answer. Steve??. Am I right on my dating of these reeds. Are there any advantages of using these older reeds? I think I heard once that the newer reeds, especially in the first couple of holes have a lot of flex, because they are thinner, and that sometimes it was hard to get the reed not buzz. Apparantly the older vingage reeds did not have that problem. Am I correct, or is reality escaping me.

Thanks for any answers.

Steve replies:

The current reed profiles for Hohner Classic harps were introduced around 2005, not in 1987. As far as I remember, Hohner USA didn't start offering replacement reeds until about 10 years ago. One of the reasons for tapering the conjunction of rivet pad and milled reed surface was to reduce the possibility of breakage at that point. These reeds last very well and actual breakage has been virtually eliminated. However, as you mention quite a number of players prefer the older reeds, among other reasons for their greater lateral stability, even though they don't always last as long as the current ones. If you want replacement reeds with the new profiles you could always try Harponline.

Hope this helps

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com