Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 81, Issue 40

Chris,
I'll have to disagree with a couple of points here. I chose 545's in 1967 because they WERE known as a popular choice for harmonica, horns, miking amp cabinets, snare drums, and vocals. I knew a tenor sax player that loved those mics. Word did get around before there was an internet, just not quite as fast. 545's and the similar models were more popular at that time than SM58's are now. They were durable, sounded great and available, and usually the first choice for working bands.
I don't remember ever seeing any POLISHED chrome stick mics of any brand, but I have seen some fairly shiny 545's along with Gold plated 545's like a friend of mine owns, both stick and pistol grip. And it is possible that Shure made a few polished chrome ones, special edition runs were known to happen. I have one early sixties 545 NIB that is 'satin' chrome and not at all a BRUSHED chrome, this mic is already a bit shiny, handling this mic would easilty make it shinier, but it's not been handled much. It is true that the vast majority are brushed chrome. BL

I also think the tone is just as likely to be a 545 through the PA as any other mic, but we'll most likely never know.