Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Beginner harp

Sorry....wanting to learn 'more easily', but playing less, or as you put it
 'less practice time', seems to not make much sense to me.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by practice time?

There seems to me no way you're going to learn unless you put in that time.
 How else do you honestly expect to learn? There are no short cuts with any
 musical instrument. A harmonica is no different

I maybe don't 'practice' the way other people do...but I sure play every
day - for at least a good hour or two.. most often a lot more. I
PLAY...whether  it's on my own, or along with my CD's, or just to music I hear randomly
at the  computer. A harmonica is never far from my reach. At least one goes
in the car  with me everywhere I go (as a passenger)...but I play
chromatics, so I couldn't  refer you to the 'right' diatonic.

On any instrument, playing more means becoming better, or more
accomplished. At least as long as you aren't repeating a same mistake over  and over.
So even if you didn't have an instructor, there are tons of  instructional
books/cd's/dvd's and online youtube tutorials one can use to  study. Sit at
the computer with harp in hand and play/practice.

IF this disturbs family members - then you'll have to work it out with
them so they either vacate the room you're in while you play or you go
elsewhere. Is playing important to you? Can your family members go to another  room
and listen to other music or turn up the tv? There ARE ways to compromise.
It shouldn't be a case of someone simply telling you to stop because  they
don't like it, if you want to be a musician. How many parents have sat
through their children's endless painful piano and violin recitals?

Frankly MY response if someone were to give me grief would be:  'I'm sorry
if it bothers you, but if you don't like it, you can leave the  vicinity for
the duration of my practice, or wear earplugs, but I AM going to
practice'.  The other thing you can try is to not blast on the  harmonica full
strength. Some people think that's the way to play harp. It  isn't. One can play
softly and sweetly.

I think you're probably on the right track with the SP20's. Most beginners
don't have anything more than those. But I can't imagine why you'd buy a
double Bass other than that it really was a heckuva good deal..since it's
nothing remotely close to a diatonic if you want to play Blues. If you didn't
make a profit when you sold it, your teacher got a steal (and half the
people on this list wish they'd known about it) ;)

A chromatic doesn't need all that much 'figuring out', actually. It's a
very logical instrument. And instead of having to bend to find the 'missing'
notes, you simply push in a lever to get them. Very easy. If 'I' can do it,
almost anyone should be able to. What's difficult about the chromatic isn't
 playing the songs - I can play just about any song I know the lyrics to,
or  instrumentals I've heard a few times....it's in the techniques: getting
vibrato,  achieving great tone and ornamentations on the chromatic. That's
where I really  need much further work.  But we're all still learning. Even
the best pro  players here will tell you they're still students. Does any good
musician ever  rest on his/her laurels?

Whatever you finally decide to do - you will still need to play a lot. Keep
 a harmonica on you, in your pocket (hopefully inside a pouch of some kind
to  keep it clean), but you need to play, play and then play some more.
Bottom  line.

Good luck,

Elizabeth

"Message: 1