With 5 minutes' instruction, anyone can gain  basic understanding of where the notes are and why notes are missing in the first octave. But people think they can pick a harmonica and play it with no instruction. It's not true of any other instrument, but harmonica manufacturers have encouraged this thinking, and the new player suffers.

By the way, many beginning players have trouble with Draw 2 on nearly every type of harmonica, no matter how it's tuned, and that includes chromatics. Spiral tuning wouldn't solve that problem.

Winslow Yerxa

Resident expert at bluesharmonica.com

Harmonica instructor, jazzschool.com

Columnist, harmonicasessions.com

--- On Sat, 5/8/10, Luke Keefner <lkeefner@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Luke Keefner <lkeefner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The POWER of  blocked TONE
To: Philharpn@xxxxxxx, franze52@xxxxxxx, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, May 8, 2010, 8:48 AM

Thank you for your response, Phil. I would just like to see harmonicas made to be more friendly to beginners. I think in these economic hard times that these companies are missing the boat on creating a growth type market for their product. I can see the advantages of richter tuning  for an advanced player (sort of) but it just causes beginners to give up. I have an XB40 that collects dust on my desk because it sounds like a chromatic and won't fit comfortably in my pocket. Luke