Re: [Harp-L] Paying those those Blues Dues

Micheal Rubin wrote:
"There are many people who make a living at harmonica.  As I have said
before, if you want it, you can make it happen".
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com

Sure Michael, thanks for the positivity... but I think you scrutinise me far too literally and seriously. One wonders if you guys are actually going out there and 'gigging' regularly? Or maybe you have local residencies to play in? For Tips? Obviously, there are many more venues in the U.S. but over here it's 'tough yards', booking venues, rehearsals, P.R., Posters, setting up lighting and P.A's and then presenting 4 hour gigs, that takes literally hours of 'sweat' for little consistent financial reward compared to the plumber..., even Jason Ricci I believe, has attested to that. The easy gigs are the appearances or supports.Also I've spent thousands on gear ands music...ha ha..the accountant would throw me out of the building.
Sure one has to think 'outside the box' these days and I do that in many ways [ 'you will see more of those results soon' with merchandising and new musical products]. However the fact is we play many varied gigs from literally the 'house party' market to Blues Supper Club Conventions.Also Street Fairs,festivals and markets. I sell lots of records and make good tips, but 'it's not an 'easy or consistant' no matter how you cut it. The funny thing is this Harmonica market has grown expediently since the days, when I could literally count on one hand 'working blues harp players/ performers' in this country , let alone meet other budding players and stop to exchange blues techniques. Straight harmonica, vamping old melodies was the style most known out here in the farming communites etc.As for the tutoring market, sure I was doing public seminars literally years ago. Some guys now are full on into that. It's not an original idea however.Take for instance over here we have Bluetongue Harmonica School with Doug Lyons. All power to him but... I ain't sure it's 'a living' to provide for a family on a regular basis? Maybe Tony Eyers has probably struck the right note in China, the internet obviously rules! Great, if that's your passion, cool ! However, I personally prefer creating good original filmic tunes and playing heart felt cover versions of trad material. I'm wanting to hear a really well executed harp pumping tune out there in the 'pop market' quite frankly.As for teaching 'Word of mouth' from home, tutoring is all I do presently, but that will be re-tuned soon by recruiting one to one sessions from market seminars.