[Harp-L] Jam Format

Iceman makes some very good points, as usual.  As a very experienced jammer and jam host I'd like to ofer a few points, too.

Sign ups are important, but not all controlling.  But indeed DON't let stars come in and take over, it discourages newbies and unknowns.   Getting a sense of skill levels helps, too, in case you'd otherwise put up a passel of tyros.  While I hew to the list, still one needs to make sure a couple higher level players are on stage to hold things together, usually from the crowd but if need be from the host band.  And always include a newbie or two!

I always try to get tyros on stage playing with good players.  It may mean less quality music, but better quality sharing and learning.  A jam ain't a showcase, it should be a chance for newbies to play with good 'uns, and you want to encourage new players and listeners, it helps the music scene.

L:et the songs evolve, sometimes it takes a while (12 bars, +/-) for the players to integrate, get a good groove going, and don't sweat the inevitable train wrecks, just move on quickly, more magic can happen but only if playing is underway - and the host is encouraging people to relax and have fun.

Finally, I will brag that yesterday we had an Elmtree Blues Jam  (see my outdated but still germane elmtreeblues.org), about 20 players rotating, and at times  with THREE keyboards, TWO drumsets and as many as five guitarists - all playing at once.  Really!  (I was the only harp player, lucky me, but I couldn't get the bassists to double up!)

And it worked only because it was an invitational jam with only the cream of the crop (except me!), all listening, generous, sharing, blues lovers.

-Dave "do as I say not as I do" Fertig