[Harp-L] mic for acoustic playing--electrically processed

Since everyone seems to be heaping acolades on the Audix Fireball and Fireball V mics for acoustic playing, it's worth remembering that if one is using effects devices, amp modellers or other sound processors, the signal produced by the Fireball mics processes extremely well. So, not only is it a good mic for an acoustic type setting, it can also be a pretty good mic for a heavily processed, very electric amplified setting because it has a very even response which produces a very smooth signal and does not "color" what's being being processed, allowing the signal processors to work unimpeded.

That being said, I use my 545 Ultimate into my pedalboard because i like what it does to the sound texture and that's being processed by the particular pedals I use. It all depends on what you're after. I've also heard that Beyer Dynamic mics are good, but I've never tried one.

Last Friday i sat in with an essentially acoustic group that had interesting instrumentation (acoustic guitar, tuba, mandolin, percussion and electric guitar). I played through my Fireball V into the PA board and it was clearly the right tool for that job. I'm not a bullet mic guy, so between my 545 Ultimate and my Fireball V, I feel i've got what i need for just about any playing situation I'm likely to encounter.

FWIW.