[Harp-L] How does bending actually work? (the physics)

I have often explained to my students that when draw bending, what we
think of as the blow reed takes over the vibration and does the bend
sound.  I take the cover plates off of a harp, I bend, I put my finger
on the draw reed, stopping the reed's vibration and the bend continues
to sound with vibration on the blow reed's part while the draw reed
has stopped.  This has satisifed many students, but today I have met
my match.

How does the blow reed take over?  How does bending fool the blow reed
into vibrating quicker and producing a higher pitch?  What does the
symathetic vibration of the draw reed have to do with it?
Thanks,
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com