Re: [Harp-L] Grapes of Wrath

Hey Noah and list,

I have had two rehearsals with the orchestra only, no singers yet. Ricky, the composer, insisted that the harmonica have an amp and I said why don't you wait until the rehearsal; then the production guy said I had to amp and I said just see if you can hear me in the rehearsal.

When rehearsal started, they all agreed they could hear the harmonica acoustically just fine. The harmonica is capable of sounding loud in a 60 piece orchestra as long as you don't cover it with the brass.

I then started to put all these harmonica parts into the good registers for the instrument. Then asked Ricky if I could echo the flute solo on the number 8- Us. He said fine and I have now added a few solo things. They are not doubling me on the ending solos. They moved me into the woodwinds and my volume has gone up because of location. Sitting next to the piccolo requires an earplug in the left ear though.

I have said this before, but it seems to fall on deaf ears, when you play classically you have to play with power. Every other classical player in the orchestra knows how to "get on top of their sound" and how to focus their sound and get a triple forte sound without sounding forced. Turning the amp up on a softer sound does not achieve the same results. It's not the same emotion. It's the difference between a singer who can really sing in full voice, like opera singers and some pop singers do, and someone who doesn't have that so they turn the amp up. Not the same emotion. And this of course does not mean that one doesn't also play triple piano; what it does mean is the difference between piano and forte is much bigger.

If this is true in classical music, it has to be true in blues as well. Someone who has a huge acoustical sound is going to be able to play with more emotion that someone who doesn't. In jazz, you generally are not looking for this kind of sound, nice to have, but not as necessary. Never the less, the idea of treating the harmonica like some delicate toy instead of, in the proper situation, whacking the hell out of it, seems silly and counter productive to me.

One of the problems on harmonica of blowing so hard and then riding just below where a reed would not play is that the reeds must be gapped higher. But that's another discussion

Harmonically yours,

Robert
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com