Re: [Harp-L] Re: Wireless set ups

I've tried the wireless devices with a transmitter that attaches to the mic
but did not like them.  The extra weight hanging off the end of the mic
annoyed me.  If you combine that with an add-on volume control you have a
substantial amount of mass added to your harp+mic aparatus.  I'm not sure
that esthetics count for much, but I much prefer the less cluttered
appearance of a rounded bullet mic and cable in my hands while I play.

Many older wireless devices operate on frequencies that the FCC has opened
for other uses, and they may get bad interference.  Addtionally, they are
analog rather than digital and may have staticky squelch sounds and
inferior tone.

I use an inexpensive Line 6 X2 Digital Wireless XDS95, about $200 at the
usual major online music outlets.  It has a belt pack transmitter and a
receiver the size and shape of an effects pedal.  It operates above 900mHz
in a clear channel.  It is digital and sounds exactly like a cable.  I have
gigged it at least 50 times and it has never failed to perform perfectly.

Here is a photo of my band Roadhouse Joe playing at a Blues Fest last
Sunday:
http://www.davisbluesproject.com/pics/toadfest02.gif

The belt pack transmitter is about the size of a deck of cards.  The cable
is about 2.5 feet long.  I published a review of this wireless at the Blues
Harp Amps Blog.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog