Re: [Harp-L] Re: Mic's on multi speaker amplifiers

In defense of the sound man:

At Blues gigs..
too often, the depth of the stage is not adequate to prevent the amp from speaking to the vocal mic
(to borrow from the previous note)
or too narrow and the amp is on top of the drums thus bleeding into your mic at the speaker cone.

I guess I am curious how a sound pro adjust for this...
Our "pro" put a ugly piece of plywood in front of my super to "cut the bleed".
from the oversized amp on the undersized stage....looked like hell but seemed to work somewhat.
You do have to realize if you are standing on top of your amp...it is going into your vocal mic...to some degree.
And mic the amp...sure...but not on the side right next to the drums...
Man this stuff is hard.
I hesitate to even give the drummer a vocal mic for this reason.

Honestly, after doing most of this myself for a couple of decades...
this is my biggest area of failure... just getting the harp right in the mix...( you can't control the other guys)
People always wait until three days later and tell you they could not hear you...
Your wife says you need to turn up and the guitar player's wife says...your too loud.....
You hear a recording later..and it is a mess.....

Nothing like an honest friend with a good set of ears...buy him a beer.

Grant