[Harp-L] Has the Air lifted? Is the Coast Clear? I want to drop some info about my new "AVENGER"!

Brothers and Sisters,

The amount of talk about GMA, Charlie, The Cruncher turned backwards, and
negativity on the flow made me want to hold my info for a more positive time
and a more open situation. I have been giving my new Avenger the test drive
and breaking it in just like a new car. Driving carefully and within factory
specifications for the first 1000 miles or kilometers which ever you are
accustomed to travelin? in your world.         I received Avenger # 6 it has
been deployed to Europe and has all the goodies a Stateside Avenger has but
obviously equipped to deal with the 220-240 volts for European power.  I am
Texas born, grew up in Kansas, lived in on the East Coast, Midwest, spent
plenty of time out west, and have lived in Europe forever. I own a SJ410,
The Cruncher, and now The Avenger. My experience has told me that too many
Sonny Junior amps are an impossibility. I have owned more amps through the
years than just about anyone? always in search of that sound and tone. Mics
are also one of my sound fetishes. I have upon occasion gone on record
saying the SJ410 was the best all around harp amp made by man. And, I don?t
want to start any back and forth on this issue or any other just putting
some info out there for those to see and know.

The Cruncher is the bomb! Smaller, mighty, break-up and drive machine. An
unbelievable amp! But, I realize once again that if SJ has the time, health,
and situation, there are unlimited possibilities of what he can design and
perfect. He is truly a genius where amp design is concerned. While working
on The Avenger, he came up with mods that are mind blowing. He continually
made adjustments and voila ?The Avenger?! I was on this ride as I was for
part of The Cruncher pre-journey even trying to help name these machines. I
have now played most of the month of June with The Avenger in a number of
different settings. My recreation room, for three days before I took it out
just getting used to it. All those days at the loudness volume of a maximum
of two. My trips out since then include a night club; a small narrow and
long café, a football stadium (soccer stadium); outdoor stage in two
different music festivals, a hotel gala party, a football complex, and one
of the most beautiful outdoor venues in the world?the Abbaye de Neumunster
Plaza, Luxembourg Grund. A variety of venues, using different bridged
settings, a multitude of volumes, miced and unmiced, and often with the
beloved or dreaded soundman.

I can say that this amp is the most expressive, explosive, driving, and
break-up oriented amp ever. I am not getting technical in this post because
it would take ten pages to give the multiple tries that I planned and
executed in order to make these statements. Volume is no issue. This amp
sounds good from starts at 1 ½ to three, and then I have not had it louder
than 7 because of sound men and stage volume issues. At volume 5 and 6 it is
already very loud. The situation is how you bridge and the combinations you
run looking for your sound. And, tube swapping, which is one of my old
trademarks is not necessary or even a thought.

Here is the truth, if you can?t play well buy any SJ amp and learn how to
drive it. That process will make you a better amplified harp player. Great
amps do exactly what they are meant to do?.project your sound. This amp at
volume breaks up and overdrives so intensely that at first it might frighten
you and your band members. Someone is either going to complain or go what
the hell was that! They?ll get used to it! Without being miced, it is a
projection monster. Put it up off the ground and turn it loose. Soundman
controlled and miced, they don?t know what to do with it at first. Play the
stage volume you prefer and than let them deal with it the best they can.

Also, before I let these remarks fly I played similar venues with both my
SJ410 and The Cruncher. I realized once again why I have been so happy with
both of those amps for so long, they are super amps! I played The Cruncher
outdoors and miced and felt what break up and drive. The SJ410 which I
originally only played with a bit of reverb was out two nights with a guitar
modular attached and pedals soaring through an out door gig and in a big
sports hall, magnificent!

The Avenger is shockingly powerful, breaks up like crazy, projects, makes
all my mics sound fabulous, (Actually, that?s a combination feature to be
discussed!), and I still have never had a feedback situation occur, but my
max volume was 7 and it was too loud for my group at that volume on stage
they asked me to back off.

Once again, I not looking for any controversy, anybody wanting to go back
and forth should go out and sit on a swing. I just let this pour our out
because I?m excited, amazed, and wanted to avoid the rather negative thing
the GMA helped to unleash on this forum. This is just info for harp lovin?
amp freaks! Mics, pedals, accessories aside, this amp is well worth the
money, effort, and time. And, when SJ comes up with a newer model then the
Avenger I will buy one of those as well.

RT