  From: joe leone
  To: Harp L Harp L
  Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:45 PM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Relaxing while playing

  I think that in line with this subject, the word anxiety should be
  mentioned. Now if it were 19 years ago and I went to my first spah, I
  could have played. I was better back then. In fact I DID play, and
  every subsequent spah. But only open mic. So what am I talking about?

  Well, back when no one knew me, it would have been just like down
  here where I play. No one would know me and I wouldn't be too
  anxious. I have played instruments other than harmonica. But I am
  playing to people who are (basically) NOT musicians, and especially
  not harmonica players.

  True story. I actually get sick before I play an audience of
  harmonica players. It was a couple of years ago and I was on stage
  about to start my part of the evening show and just then who comes
  and sits down in the front row right in front of me? Peter the mad
  cat Ruth. Ok, if not for the fact that I had taken a muscle relaxant
  (nerve pill), I would have frozen up solid. But somehow I got through
  my 6-7 tunes. They're the ones on you tube.

  The crowd requested an encore. So I butchered through that. They
  asked for ANOTHER...but I was too frazzled. I had to get out of
  there. So when I escape to the hall. who pulls me aside and wants me
  to listen to his rendition of 'Buddy can you spare a dime'. None
  other than Peter the cat in the hat Ruth. First of all I was very
  honored that he would choose ME to hear his new rendition, and
  secondly, he gave me a chance to catch my breath, settle down, and
  let the butterflies fly.

  Maybe it's just me but playing for an audience OF harmonica players
  is really the height of anxiety, BUT then again, those people are
  there because they LOVE harmonica, and chances are they aren't going
  to chew your head off. I suppose the thing that scares me is that
  since I am no shrinking violet when it comes to voicing my opinion
  (s), that I just assume that everyone is as blunt as I am.   And
  that's scary.

  smokey-joe & the Cafe s  (some say he got Sinatra to do it HIS way)
  ( the sun comes up late on Sept. 10...just in case his birthday party
  goes late).