[Harp-L] Levelling the Playing Field

Madcat says: _ALWAYS_ carry a naked harp in your pocket...

I have always done this, and tell all to do likewise. You'll practice more, also performance opportunities may come at unexpected times. Strangest one for me was an after concert party at the Sydney Opera House, in the conductor's private room. He was playing April in Paris on the piano, I had the right harmonica in my pocket...

I certainly wasn't part of the actual concert, I just followed someone I knew into the party.

Of course my pocket harmonicas fill themselves with coins and other junk. I blow into the back before playing, removing most (not all) of the rubbish. The rest I inhale..

Over the years I've put up with this. However a better solution has recently come up. The Hohner Crossover. Besides being a first class instrument, it comes in a snug zip up case. The Crossover is Marine Band size, a little smaller than most other harmonicas. Hence a Crossover in its case takes up the same space in my pocket as the naked instrument(s) I used to carry.

So. A Crossover in its case is now my pocket harmonica. No more rubbish in the instrument. Plus I always have a first class harmonica at hand. All I need is another invite to the Sydney Opera House.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays