Re: [Harp-L] Re: Ken Deifik on Craig Ferguson - YouTube

Wezo wrote:
Yes, brother. You KILLED it. I'm sure it was fun as hell for you.

Well, you've made my weekend, Wezo. (So did all those other nice responses. Thanks to all.)

You gonna do more gigs to promote the CD ?

I'm not sure, but I sure hope so. Dave goes back to work on CSI next month. He gets some weeks off and he doesn't work weekends, so hopefully we'll do some more shows. When the season ends - I think next March - we'll have hopefully lined up a bunch of work.

The Opry show last weekend simply the most enjoyable gig of my whole life. I'd love to go back and do another one there while it's still at the Ryman.

Did you get some cuts on the CD ?

Well, while I am a songwriter, and was involved with the project from the git-go, I felt it was really important for Dave to develop the songs by himself, this being his first project. I cut the first demos on the songs on my Zoom H2 on a Tuesday. I really liked the songs. They were the first ANYONE had ever heard from him, though he's a very fine musician. On Thursday I came in to recut, and he had seriously improved every single song. Two days later each song had AGAIN been significantly improved for the third round of demos. This is extremely impressive, far as I'm concerned.

We discussed the songs at great length, but it was clear to me that he was applying his great artistic talent to songwriting and this was the moment to encourage him to explore. I'd have loved to have had a co-write on this project, but there'll be other projects.

Frankly, I mapped my own experience of doing my first solo collection. I felt like I had finished too many sessions wishing I had been in charge or had been able to change a few lines in the songs - I wanted to see what would emerge if I wrote, played and produced an entire collection on my own. I now know who I am in that situation and will easily be able to welcome collaborators into my next project. Dave's producer, Chris Wall, a remarkable songwriter, co-wrote one tune when we got to Austin, and we cut one of his tunes for the project. As he was the producer I think that made more sense.

I'm just happy to be a part of the whole thing - I don't need a co-write to feel great. Dave went to great lengths getting me to Austin for the recording, and more to get me to the Opry. Most of the time the harp player is the expendable one - everybody's cousin has a harmonica in their gig bag after all - so I will always be delighted that he finds my specific style to be of value to his work.