Re: [Harp-L] Re: Why Charlie's Cruncher was backwards, and other stuff

bfrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>why was a guitar amp facing fwd

I dunno, who cares?  Apparently there is disappointment out there that Charlie didn't sound exactly the way he did on some other record, and so we need to search for reasons?  Like the guitar player got better treatment from the sound techs?  Y'know, I doubt it. Charlie got a LOT of quality air time in that performance, lots more than anybody except Lauper.  They weren't out to make him look bad.

The probable reason why Charlie's amp was turned around was to avoid feedback.  Maybe unnecessary, but my guess is that most techs on a live show like GMA err on the side of caution.

I thought the harp sounded great, added a lot to the sound of the band, and was given a lot of room to work, all of which bode well for the profession.  Most harp players would be very happy to sound that good on any performance, and it was a terrific showcase for Charlie and the instrument he plays.

Or so I think.

Thanks, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter