From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of joe leone
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:57 PM
To: Greg Heumann
Cc: Harp L Harp L
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Why Charlie's Cruncher was backwards, and
other stuff

On Jun 24, 2010, at 2:37 AM, Greg Heumann wrote:

> I emailed Charlie and asked him. Here's what he said:
>
> "They picked up the band at 5:15am. When we got to the studio they
> had it all set up like they wanted. A Times Square TV studio like
> that with an audience and all is a very busy and complicated place.
> I was curious about why they had my amp turned around, but there
> was no time to even discuss it.

Wrong. You ask:  Why is my amp turned around? Takes 2.652
seconds.....I timed it.

> We just had time to get straight to work. When it was over the crew
> started breaking everything down with the precision of a drill team
> while they hustled the band out to a waiting van. Next week when I
> fly back to meet Cyndi in Cleveland to start the tour, I'll get to
> discuss it because I'm curious too about the amp placement.

Naaaah, too late, you had your chance.

> Another thing all those folks should know is that whatever sound I
> was getting from my Cruncher, it was at the mercy of the studio
> before it reached the TV listening audience.

We understand.

> I have no way of controlling that and they can change your sound
> dramatically and the player has no way of knowing about it.  A
> professional that's backing somebody up plays what's appropriate
> for who they're backing up and what's appropriate is what the
> artist that hired them wants. If you ignore what they want and just
> play what you want.....you ain't going to last long in that line of
> work. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

I think we got it.

> If you hired a guy to paint your house and he decided to paint it
> his favorite color instead of the color the homeowner asked
> for.....well that'd be plain stupid.  That shouldn't be so hard to
> understand unless you're the kind of person that just likes to look
> for something negative to say. If you come to hear me live, you
> would hear something very different. But, no matter how hard you
> try and no matter how much you care, there's always some sour puss
> out there

I'm picking up negative waves here. It's as if someone primed this
guy up.

> just waiting to jump on you with something negative and they are,
> for the most part, clueless - they weren't there; they don't know
> what all went on behind the scenes, but they're not going to
> hesitate from blabbing a bunch of baloney as if they're some kind
> of authority.

More negative waves.

> Personally, when I see anybody getting any kind of work at all in
> this business - I'm pulling for them. All that negative baloney is
> just plain silly."

Well first of all, I liked Cyndi..in her day. I think her day has
passed and she needs to take her money and get a place on the French
riviera. I thought her voice was tired. And often off key. Flatted
out the high notes. Her outfit didn't do a thing for her (otherwise
cute) pixieish look. The dumb ass hat was the coup de grasse. As for
Mr. Musselwhite, I don't have to tip toe around because I don't know
him. Met him in 93-94?. In the last 17 years, we have crossed paths
maybe 8 times. The only words between us have been:
Me:  "Whaaaaaz-up Hoss"   Him:  "Hey"  See, he is a star, and as
such, usually has a raft of people whom want to talk to him, get
tips, hang around him, ask questions, and in general soak up some of
his aura. I don't glom onto people like that. They need room to
breathe. So, what I'm saying is I don't owe him. His playing didn't
fit the occasion. Plain and simple. Listen to it again. Lots of Ebs
that should have been Es. Other wrong pitches. Hey, I know this guy
is a terrific player, and maybe (in this case) this video belongs in
the 'I tried' bin.

I'm just sayne.
smo-joe