[Harp-L] Enough with the "amps vs. tone" already!

I like gear. Different gear gives me different tones. Thats why we own multiple amps, emulators, pedals, mics etc.. isn't it? If I buy a Harpking 8x10 am I going to expect myself to sound like Rod Piazza? I know better. It may be close (or not) but it certainly won't be exactly the same. Same goes for the Harpgear amps and Ricci's tone. No one sounds just like anyone else. Masters included. Just too many variables involved. Nothing wrong with trying to sound like your heroes but I think our heroes were not trying to sound like anybody else. That is one of the attribues which makes them heroes!

I am constantly trying improve my acoustic tone for my style of playing however I strive to find my own tone and style. I happen to like the gear threads as well. I have learned and purchased much gear from the information on this invaluble list. One of the many things I love about playing the harmonica is that the tone of it is so sensitive to the gear it is amplified thru. Unlike say, the bass guitar or drums. Why not discuss all the wonderful things we can do with a new amp, pedal or mic? I am pretty sure the artisans creating and selling harp-specific gizmos on this list are most appreciative as well.

I can somewhat appreciate the "tone-nazis" way of thinking. Some of the best tone I have ever heard came from Dale Spaulding, an SM58 and a PA. Simply amazing.

I also appreciate and respect the many tones coming from John Poppers or Ricci's rigs. Equally amazing on a another level. Not higher or lower, just different. Different styles, different genres, different audience, different tone. I am never going to sound like any of the guys I just mentioned however I don't want to either. I want to sound like me! If want to be heard over the bands I play with, I best get some good gear!