Re: [Harp-L] New Harmonica products

On Jun 14, 2010, at 6:34 PM, Niall Tracey wrote:

> Springless Slides
This sounds genuinely inspired -- why did no-one think of this before?
There's a lot of information in a short space, so can I check I understand you?

> Too strong of a spring will break through the wall of a wood or
> plastic comb chromatic over time.
Too strong a magnet would do the same, wouldn't it? Is your point here not maybe more that some chromatics are incorrectly specced than that springs are bad?

No, because the magnets polarity are moving against each other. There is no force being applied to the outer wall of the comb. The free end of springs not attached to the slide are what break through the comb walls. I have to correct myself, this occurs on wood comb models. On plastic comb models the free end of the spring is on the inside. But I have seen the guides for plastic comb models broken due to spring force. Mainly on Super 64x models.

> When a spring is engaged there is a brief point
> where it lifts the slide and pushes it against the U channel causing
> friction at the spring hole and between the slide and U channel.
I have no idea what a U-channel is, but if I understand right, your saying that basically the spring doesn't operate in a straight line, so the slide doesn't operate in a straight line either, and rubs. Correct? I can see why that's a problem.

The spring pushes the slide slightly outward as it is moved from right to left. In some instances the spring tip cuts into the back of the mouthpiece if too long. The channel that the slides sit in have some extra room to move due to the spring action. When you eliminate the spring the slide is free to move freely the channel. The problem is there is too much room now so the next step is too reduce some of the room without affecting slide action while yet increasing air tightness.

> What I subbed for springs are magnets. Magnets allow the slide to
> float in the channel.
... > Right now I'm working on slide button to fit over the outside magnet
> to make it less obvious. If not, the magnets are still stylish
> enough to leave as is, but the craftsman in me would like to provide a
> more finished product if possible.
I'm having a hard time picturing how the assembly's put together -- when can we expect to see it on the site?

It's simple. Depending on the style chromatic you substitute a magnet for the slot the spring sat in. If the spring sat in a round hole you use a cylindrical magnet. If it lays flat you use a flat magnet. The second magnet goes where the slide button use to be. When you press the slide in and have both magnets positioned as + or - poles they repel each other to return the slide to it's rest state.

Mike

Cheers,
Níall.