Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica patent search

Even if no patent has been granted, the idea may not be patentable for other reasons.  If it has been published or offered for sale, it is in the public domain and thus not patentable.  Another resource about harmonica history is John Whiteman.  He has a huge collection of harps and has  a huge illustrated anthology http://www.scribd.com/doc/17142243/John-Whiteman-Harp-Anthology on line that includes not only his collection but many others as well.

I found that the Hands-Free-Chromatic  is not patentable.  A chromatic harp in John's collection has a vertically movable wooden mouthpiece instead of a slide just like the HFC.  The spring is so stiff that you must move it with your fingers so it could not be played hands-free.  This makes me believe that its purpose is to avoid the cost of a metal slide.  However coming up with a new use for an old mechanism doesn't make it  patentable. An interesting detail about that harp is that it has rusty steel reeds.

I am listed as inventor on five patents in other fields. Of those, only one made money for my employer.   In most instances, a patent and $2 will get you a cup of coffee.

Vern