Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 4th position? or Natural minor tuning?

Grant:  Europa by Gato Barbieri is one of MY favourite  pieces to play
along with on an A cx-12.

Just noodling along to my Ipod at SPAH 2008 in the lobby - a couple of
people overheard and wanted to know 'just what IS that music?'  never  having
heard Europa before.

One young guy (I never did get his name) had me play it several times
through while he listened in shaking his head over the beauty of this tune.
Much as I love Santana's original...and even the duet they play together  (both
available on YouTube) to me Europa is just made for Barbieri's  sax - and
sounds quite brilliant on a chromatic too.

Fast Forward to Spring Fever at Trumpets Jazz Club on May 15, where some
terrific harmonica players had just put on a most entertaining and wonderful
show.... chatting with Enrico Granafei afterwards. The subject of Gato
Barbieri's Europa came up again  - Enrico mentioned that his  drummer was THE
drummer for Gato and most specifically on Europa :)  This  same guy who'd
just backed Rob Paparozzi, Phil Caltabellota, Frank Grova, Dennis  Gruenling
and Enrico himself on drums. I need to get his name to give him proper  credit
- although Rob Paparozzi might already have mentioned the pianist,  bassist
and drummer.   What a small world. Made my day.

..all the musicians were wonderful that day (with  a special nod to Charlie
Toker and his 17North Band) as was Enrico  himself playing primarily
Brazilian-style jazz. Enrico's something else. He  plays guitar, sings and plays
'harp-in-a-rack'...the hands-free chromatic, to be  precise. He's an amazing
musician.

They hope for at least one more Trumpets harmonica 'soiree' before the 2010
 GSHC Festival. The level of musicianship is topnotch and any east coast
harmonica players and jazz musicians should get on the mailing list and mark
it  a 'don't miss'. What a fun afternoon.

Elizabeth