Re: [Harp-L] Slot Embossing

This whole thing is hilarious. Embossing is an old old old idea. I first came across it on Italian accordions. Accordions are easy to work on. You can make an entire reed plate yourself. They are usually aluminum and only have 2 reeds on each one. One on top, one on the bottom. The reeds are usually steel. They are usually (but not always) wide at the rivet end. Narrower at the tip. Some are double riveted. This keeps them centered in their slot. You can make a plate by drilling overlapping holed in the aluminum plate and then cleaning out the 'points' with a file.

First you drill a hole, then you fill the hole with a soft plug (copper wire), then you center the drill on the SEAM of the first hole and drill again. You continue this until you have the slot roughed out. Then you can make the reeds out of the spring that's inside an automatic metal spool rule. You can make one of these plates in about 2 1/2 hours. You're only doing TWO reeds. If you mess up, you start again. Doing this with a harmonica? Almost impossible...by hand. Reason, as you work the slots, it gets exponentially more difficult. And not by a factor of 1 neither. More like a square root. Add to this the MULTITUDE of reeds, and you're in trouble. Conclusion, we are lucky, very very lucky that we have harmonica companies doing this FOR us.

Then, if you want to emboss an accordion for a customer who isn't happy with their reeds 'carry', you use a ball bearing from a pin ball machine set on a handle. Not too small in dia. You don't want to 'furrow'. You want to 'swage' the metal.

Consider the Harrison (for example) . Not wishing to pick them out, but this is an entirely NEW operation here. NO hundreds and hundreds of years and hundreds and hundreds of (so called) experts engineering these things. Tell ya what. They're a better man than I am Gunga Din. :)

smo-joe