[Harp-L] Re: Customizing (was Harp soaking)

I had the pleasure of meeting a number of the older generation of harmonica techs who worked primarily on chromatics for the pros, such as Bill Romel or Earl Williams from Portland OR, and I also spoke to Jerry Murad, who Earl did a lot of work for, a couple of times about harmonica modification. Those guys did all kinds of adjustments to their instruments to make them play better, but they didn't to my knowledge emboss reed slots. I'm confident that the earlier diatonic players just used instruments out of the box and made no adjustments whatsoever - people didn't even know how to tune in those days, as is clearly audible on numerous recordingings where the harp is seriously out of tune. This is relatively easy to fix, far simpler than embossing. To the best of my knowledge, the pioneers of reed slot embossing are Joe Filisko and Rick Epping.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com