From: icemanle@xxxxxxx <icemanle@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Musical Predictions
To: reedwrecker@xxxxxxxxx, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, 27 January, 2010, 12:45

I teach an understanding of music based on a formula I came up with - 80/20 (not based on scientific evidence - just intuition. Nice to note that this article reaffirms what I've found to be true).

80% of the time, if the audience is able to "predict" what comes next, they become comfortable with the music. However, if you don't surprise them 20% of the time, they will lose interest, as it becomes "too familiar". If you surprise them more than, say 20%, they become uncomfortable in their failure to be able to predict, and you may lose them this way.