Re: [Harp-L] Musical Predictions

T H I S  is brilliant.
s-j

On Jan 27, 2010, at 7:45 AM, icemanle@xxxxxxx wrote:

I teach an understanding of music based on a formula I came up with - 80/20 (not based on scientific evidence - just intuition. Nice to note that this article reaffirms what I've found to be true).

80% of the time, if the audience is able to "predict" what comes next, they become comfortable with the music. However, if you don't surprise them 20% of the time, they will lose interest, as it becomes "too familiar". If you surprise them more than, say 20%, they become uncomfortable in their failure to be able to predict, and you may lose them this way.