Re: [Harp-L] Joe Leone's Wise Observation...

On Jan 26, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Warren Bee wrote:

Harps are self destructive / high maintenence. It puts them in a class of
their own in the world of musical instruments. This is the nature of the
beast.

Exactly 'Busy Bee'. I didn't mean to imply that harps aren't good. They generally are. Especially diatonics. Remember that we are playing these things the way they were NOT intended to be played. This puts strain on them that they didn't expect to get otherwise. If a person is going to honk in these odd keys, they have to expect breakage.

There's a world of difference between someone in an ensemble of 23 people playing oomp-aye shoomp-aye German music and (for example) L.D. Miller blowing his brains out in 4th.

The nature of manufacturing, whether it be plumbing parts or
harmonicas is to make money.

True, the state of plumbing parts (right now) is abysmal. Too much base metal and low nobility brasses, or worse yet brass plated aluminum. Aluminum? In plumbing? God help us.

Aaaanyway, cars have been around what? 121 years? Airplanes what? 107? Harps what? 153? Look where those other items have gotten to. Harps are the same as they always were. Chromos are a different story. The MAIN reason they wind up in a sock drawer and years later, when the kids are emptying out the old folk's home, they wind up on e- bay....wind savers.

Wind savers are the major reason people give up chromo. AND if you don't learn to fix your own, it could cost you a small fortune to PLAY chromo.

In business the numbers never lie. I think all
of the manufacturers serving the harmonica community are doing a great
job trying to deal with the nature of our chosen beast.

I think so too Warren. All things considered. AND I don't think they plan in obsolesence. I think it comes naturally due to the way we play. I remember reading a story where baseballs used to be made in the midwest somewhere but they changed to HAITI. The reason? The mule hide and the steps necessary to sew them and shrink the covers so they could take the increased hitting power of the players.

We have many choices
as players. The more demands that we put on our instruments as we play them
dictates more choices that have to be made. How much do you have to spend?
How much "tinkering time" do you have available? Do you even have the
patience and skill set to be a worthy "tinkerer"?

Nice post. I see that we are sympatico on may issues. As if that were ever in doubt :)
jo-jo