Re: [Harp-L] Hohner USA response re: prices, blister packs etc.

Andy,

I'm glad to hear that you read all the posts and thanks for taking the time
to respond to the list. I suspect that some of the comments you read, mine
for sure, were not written merely in response to the imminent price hike.
My post on this topic was not a single stranded reaction to price but a
cumulative one resulting from decades of frustration that continue to this
day with Hohner and their products. For a recent example, after paying the
asking price for a number of Marine Band Deluxe harmonicas, why must I
take each one apart to adjust the reedplates so that they are level with the
comb and then burnish the sharp edges so they don't irritate my mouth? Out
of the box that harp was like putting parallel butter knives in my
mouth. Shouldn't that have been something that was addressed by Hohner up
front? A full set of these harmonicas (not counting low tunings) would
currently cost in the neighborhood of $600. depending on where they're
purchased. For that kind of money, is it too much to ask that some design
consideration be given to the ergonomic aspects of the instruments
mouthpiece?

That brings me to another point:  A professional diatonic harmonicist needs
instruments in every key, plus backups. It's a little disingenuous to make a
statement like "Even with rising prices, the harmonica remains the lowest
priced professional musical instrument available in the market today."
That's fine for the hobiest who carries a C harp around in his pocket but
a full set of diatonics is expensive and apparently about to become more so
at a time when many people, including musicians, are making less money than
they were just a few years ago.

In summation I will tell you this: I am a long time customer of Hohner
harmonicas and have purchased countless MBs and other models over the last
35 years. At this stage of my musical life, if I'm going to be asked to pay
more for my harmonicas I want a product that facilitates my playing rather
than one that gets in the way of it. One that, perhaps outside of some minor
reed adjustments, plays like a "Professional Musical Instrument" right out
of the box (err, blister pack). I hope this helps to further set the record
straight.

Sincerely,

tom albanese
Chicago, IL