Re: [Harp-L] Joe Leone's Wise Observation...

Good questions.

I also think that "the manufacturers serving the harmonica community are doing a great job trying to deal with the nature of our chosen beast."

As for your questions...

Assuming one wants to play lots, on lots of harps, and have those harps last a long time, I see three options:

1. be successful and/or rich enough to employ a technician/customiser and/or afford up-to-spec instruments when you want them,

or

2. learn to tinker, repair, rebuild, retune, tweak and cannibalise (by practising patiently and by studying the FREE information that knowledgeable and generous people have made available FOR NOTHING AT ALL),

or

3. get used to certain realities and limitations!

I spent a lot of time griping at 3.

Now that I've learned 2 (took me a year or two of patience, experimentation, failure, frustration and awful, awful sounding harps), I always seem to have harps in every key/tuning I want and never seem to be buying any.

Still working on 1, though!

Maybe that's because I can't tune my harmonicas as well as I think I can?!?

xxx