From: Vern <jevern@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] pre-existing harmonica terminology ??
To: "Jonathan Ross" <jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, January 25, 2010, 4:36 PM

As Jonathan suggested, I consulted Pat Missen's website which says:

"Knittlinger System  Also known as the Konzert or Full Concert harmonica, this was developed by the Friedrich Hotz company of Knittlingen. Like the Wiener system, it has a pair of reedplates each with both blow and draw reeds, mounted on a horizontally divided comb giving two rows of holes at the mouthpiece. However these holes are rectangular in shape, each delivering air to a pair of reeds, one blow one draw:"

This indicates that neither the "Wieiner" or Knottlinger" system has draw-only holes.

I originally questioned the need for separate terms for blow-holes and draw-holes because I didn't think that draw-only holes existed.  I should have known better than to state that something doesn't exist and in any case my opinion isn't important.

Vern