Re: [Harp-L] Re: Soaking Your Harps

IMHO

Harp soaking is useless and a waste of time. (IMHO)

For many years I had to use pear wood comb Hohner short harps, because they
 were the only ones available. Gosh... That was 40 odd years ago!

Soaking them just made them worse. THEY RIPPED MY LIPS TO PIECES!

I'd have gone over to Lee Oskar harps eventually with their inert plastic
combs, but  I just  don't like the sound.

I still play Hohner harps, They somehow make the musical tone that I  like.
but I am SO GLAD that at least now, Hohner has some competition. I  still
believe hohner make the best mass produced harmonicas. That's why I play
them!

And NO I'm NOT an "Endorsee"... All Hohner has ever done is ensure I paid
more for my harps than I needed to! As a company, they are "not very
nice"...  But Hohner make my favourite mass produced harmonicas.

My preference with a harp with a button,  and is for a 270  chrom...
Preferably fitted with Plexiglas or stainless steel comb. The  customised 270 is
my "chrom" of choice... I can't afford a set of 12  Renny's... My "c"
Renaissance is the star of my harmonica armoury! It's better  than any other
harmonica that I've ever played. (Number 8, in the ILUS  production line)... But I
can't afford some more in different keys.

Diatonics?

I like Blues Harp cover plates, Meisterklasse MS reed plates, and a  metal
comb.... Combs of Lavoie titanium, (THE BEST EVER!)  Meisterklasse
aluminium, or Danneker Blues now plated brass but when produced at first,  stainless
steel. The latest brass ones are ok, but not as good as his first  issue of
stainless steel. I have other stainless steel combs, from  different
customises too. They are just great!

Harp soaking is and always was useless, or next to useless. It made wooden
combed harps even more likely to swell and rip the players lip to bits.

IN MY OPINION.. Soaking has TOTALY  no positive  effect.
.
Soaking? it's a negative thing to do... (IMHO)

But...
It's your choice!

Placebo effect possibly?

If it works for you do it!
I simply want to keep my harps as warm and dry as I can.

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines.

John "Whiteboy" Walden