[Harp-L] Why different positions?

Like many others on the list, I can play the diatonic as chromatic using some overbending, but mostly valved harps.

I have not spent the time as yet to become equally proficient with all scales on a single harp, so I mostly play second position, with which I am most comfortable and proficient. Sometimes, I will use another position if I have to, but only if playing second would put too many notes of the tune in the third octave.

So, here is the question: I know that some very good players on this list who play "chromatic" diatonic also choose to play in a variety of positions. It's certainly not because you can't play any given tune in any position. What is attractive to you about the positions you play?

Thanks,

-LM