Re: [Harp-L] Little walter didn't write Juke!

Winslow,

The two studio versions I have that are labelled 'juke' are in the same key, beyond that two different heads/ improvisations. The single: recorded may 12, 1952, w/ Muddy, Jimmy Rodgers and Elgin Evans. The alternate take from the the same day same players released on the "Blues with a Feeling" CD.

One thing we've always observed with the old blues greats is they had been ripped off without credit so much that there was often an attitude, and understandably so. But nobody can ever sort all this stuff out. It's pretty well documented that some of these guys would brag and fabricate at times.

You've got Rice Miller, claiming he's "the original sonny boy", Hound dog Taylor claimed Freddy King stole Hideaway from him, Jody williams said Howlin' Wolfe and Otis Rush stole from him, I've heard that James Cotton was doing Rocket 88 before anyone else.............on and on. And then you have the later generations stealing from the guys that stole from the guys, and on that goes.

Here's what I know, Little Walter had a hit record with one of his recordings of "JUKE", and nobody else did. It's unlikely he ever played it the same way twice. Now how can we steal that?

An old friend that I played music with for 30 years used to say: There's only eight notes and the sharps and flats, there's bound to be some repitition, it's all about how you play it! Just my 2cents, James

----- Original Message ----- From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>