[Harp-L] Whiners;SP-20

Soaking your Special 20, or any other plastic combed harp for that matter,
won't hurt it.  Does it last long?  I really don't know.  When ever I've
soaked a harp I get into playing and after a while I'm usually not thinking
about it any more.  It definitely doesn't last through one playing session.
Once it dries out it's back to the way it was before you soaked it.  It DOES
improve the responsiveness of the harp though - and it won't hurt it.  But
it should be said here that while the water won't do anything bad, your
playing on a soaked harp may change, becoming more aggressive.  And the
added tightness may create conditions wherein you bend hard, use hard
attacks and otherwise stress out the harp and.   maybe start a nice little
fracture in a reed?

If you have wood combed harps and the combs aren't sealed you shouldn't soak
them.  You can do it a few times but if you keep it up the tines of a Marine
Band comb will eventually swell and poke out of the front and tare at your
lips.  Then, after it's dried out, it will shrink back and then warp or the
tines will stay sticking out on the front.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh