Re: [Harp-L] re: Whiners;SP-20

Hi Lurker in SoTex

Just curious here:

Any thoughts on playability differences over the time you've played Sp20?

Anything else you've noticed over your time with Sp20 re: harp construction, quality issues, subtleties, changes?

Also, do you / have you always played your Sp20 out of the box? Any thng you do to the harps to make them work better for you? Gapping, embossing, reed shaping, etc ...

I can remember the relief I had when I discovered plastic combs around 1980. I still have some new in their soft tan plastic case, nails and all (what was THAT about?). C&12.95 price sticker still on. Only touched by a three year old's lips, a few years ago, when she got into Daddy's reserve stock. LOL.

Think I'll keep them as i, unplayed, for historical comparative purposes. They don't play to bad either and if dipped in water, are less leaky though I expect that harder blowers would find them more playable, dry.

I bought these new in the summer of '82 at a music store that was going out of business. (August I think; saw James Cotton nearby after work the next night; a Friday).Their stock was almost gone so bought whatever was left as they were marked down to clear. As my dear departed Daddy used to say: "At that price, you can't go wrong!"

MB and Blues Harp were on sale for $6, plastic combed Sp20 and ProHarp $7. Splurged for my first Golden Melody at $8. Also got a Chromatic 270. Think it was marked down to $35.

http://www.flickr.com/gift/