Re: [Harp-L] Re: Hohner Price Increase

Am Freitag, 22. Januar 2010 schrieb John F. Potts:
> If players like MBs, that's great, and I'm certain custom MBs are
> terrific instruments.

Recent stock MSs are terrific, too. At least compared to most other
stock harmonicas ;)

> But I just find it difficult to accept that
>  in   the 21st century a major manufacturer is making a harmonica
>  put together with nails using unsealed combs that swell.

Why should a manufacturer stop producing a product while there's still
demand for it? Hohner does make Marine Bands with screws and non
swelling combs, but still they sell the thing with nails. Give me one
good reason why a 21st century major manufacturer should stop
producing a top seller?

And then the price! Do you really think Hohner would increase prices
right now (!) if there was a chance not to do so? Somebody asked for
european prices. They have been increased slightly over the last few
years. about five years ago i paid 23Euros for a Sp20, now i pay 26
and included those 3 Euros is a tax increase.
The USD has been incredibly weak for years now and the US Government
did everything to keep it like that to make inports expensive and
exports cheap. Ask all the amp builders, mic and harp customizers,
pedal makers wether they have sold well to europe recently. We
europeans bought in the US like hell because it's  extremly cheap for
us to get all that stuff overseas if we can pay with Euros!

The other way round US buyers have now to pay more for imported
products. Companies like Hohner have insurances to cover exchange rate
risk, so they could keep US prices relativly stable quite a while. But
any insurance runs out some day and if Hohner doesn't want to go broke
very quickly they have increase prices at some point.
It's not like Hohner is making big money. No I'm not an insider, but
their annual report is openly available on the internet, so...

--
Gruß,Frank