RE: [Harp-L] Hohner in the Local Marketplace

Wow I had forgotten how dreadful the eighties were. I was blowing out a Lee Oskar or a Special 20 in the course of a couple gigs and then I had to endure playing a Marine Bands for weeks on end. ... keeping up with electric guitar in clubs on five nights a week.
Man I shook Steve Baker's hand when I met him in '93.
I play hard and my overblows are few. I am an endorsee so I am prejudiced, and because the Marine Bands are so accustomed to the way I play the tuning has been less of issue than swollen wooden combs. OUCH!
   Harmonicas have always had and will always have a dysfunctional relationship with the conventional music store. They sure don't look as good as the turquoise tele hanging on the wall.  And only a beginner gives a shit whether it's in a blister pack. But I do remember arguing with many a Neal Schon lookalike about whether the Hohner bellows had cleanly hit every note as he pumped before I consented to buying it. That's why so many of us buy them online these days, those who need the proper gapping can get it or those who desire a first time harp can get that too. If ever there was an instrument suited to online sales the harmonica is it. No local music store can compete with the variety and economy of the web and yeah I think it speaks to the underlying perfection of their design...
JIM