Re: [Harp-L] Hohner in the Local Marketplace

On Jan 22, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Eric Nielsen wrote:

I used to shop with the Farrells before they closed up. What a great store.

Yes, they were a great store.

I bought a CX-12 for about $100.00 shortly before they closed.

Although I don't ever remember talking to an old curmudgeon, there certainly
was someone there who may have been a balancing force in their operation.
Sweet vs. cranky.

Actually, Ritchie was quite a nice guy, but would sometimes get cranky.

I once received the wrong CD from an order. When I called them up, a very
nice, sweet, and elderly sounding woman answered (wife ?).

Right.

I explained that I had received the wrong CD. She very apologetically cries, "Oh dear." She
then went on to say that she would immediately send out the correct CD to
me. She asked that I send the other CD back, and she could then determine
how much they owed me for the return postage and reimburse.

Right.

Sure enough, I soon received the correct CD in the mail--and, a little while
later, an envelope containing a small amount for the return postage. I sure
miss that kind of fair and folksy service.

So do I.

Eric

Ok, here's what happened. I explained it here 10 years ago, but here it is again. After dealing with Ritchie for years, suddenly I got into a misunderstanding. He used to send the harmonicas out with a voucher included. Once you got the harps, you would send the money by check or money order. He did NOT accept charge cards.

Btw, somewhere on the voucher were the words (to paraphrase). 'We are harmonica people and we trust harmonica people'

Apparently somewhere along the line, Ritchie must have gotten the ole 'shaftola' because one day he started taking credit cards, and that how you HAD to order from then on. Which was fine with me.

One day I called up and got the wife (he was out) and ordered several chromos (only 1 for me), and several diatonics (most for me). A few days later Ritchie called and said that the order was messed up because he didn't HAVE some of the harps I wanted. At that time he asked if I wanted to substitute. Sooo, aaaaanyway, I substituted several of the Hohner 270s with HERINGS.

4days later I got the order. It was several hundred dollars. The order was as I had originally ordered. ALL Hohner chromos ( and spl-20s).

Then the next day I got the same grouping of harps BUT it was what I had worked out with Ritchie. It turns out that the wife DIDN't mess up the order and the reason why Ritchie couldn't fill the order with Hohners was because the wife had ALREADY filled the order and took the ONLY Hohner chromos that were left in those keys. So now I have a DOUBLE order.

I laughed and said, oh, that's ok, I'll just send back the SECOND batch. He says: "You can't, we don't take returns". I said "Wait a minute, it isn't like I have a problem with them, for which I realize I would have to go through Hohner. This was a mess up at YOUR end not mine". He got ticked off and wouldn't budge. I sent the second batch back.

After a few days, the second order came RIGHT back to me, and additional handling and postage was charged to my Visa (which I got about a week later). I called and we got in an argument. Then I said that I was going to DRIVE to Harrisburg Ohio and he WAS going to take the second batch of harps back...one way or t'other.". I got in touch with Visa and they wouldn't help.

Then he calls and reads me the riot act for making him 'Look bad' to the credit card companies JUST as he is trying to use credit for his business. I never did drive to Ohio because I was operating under a code of behavior that forbade such activity. The next time I tried to order something, I was barred. That's right, barred. So from then on I ordered stuff when friends ordered stuff. Because of Visa's reluctance to help, telling me it was more or less my word against his, I dropped Citibank Visa.

Eventually I liked the Herings and while the Hohners were for other people, I eventually moved to Hering chromos as well as Hohners. BUT, I still play spl-20s (exclusively).

smo-joe